Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Special/Additional Post
Creativity and Curiosity: My Thoughts - Special Post #12A.


 I think that schools in the United States systematically destroy and also promote creativity in students. The reason I say that is because in some areas of the classroom, curiosity is encouraged, and creativity is rewarded. I feel that subjects that keep true to creativity as it's core do a great job at promoting the curiosity that they are intended, such as Art, Drama, etc. However, some subjects do not encourage thinking of that sort. In some traditional classrooms the teacher is the way and only way for information in the classroom. In this setting, the students are seen as not bringing any prior experiences and knowledge into the classroom. 


 On the matter of schools killing the creativity in the classroom, I think that the teacher is the one that holds the key as to why this is so. I would question the teacher's mission for teaching. Does he/she want her students to learn, and be able to apply what they have learned in life, or does the teacher want to simply fill the students head with information- passively. I would take a look at the priorities of the educator at hand. I feel that a curriculum can be developed that increases the curiosity of students by encouraging more research on a topic, and open/broad projects on the subject where the students can let their interests and creativity shine. It is possible!


 I think that a teacher's actions can indeed increase the curiosity of students. The attitude of the teacher influences the attitude of the students. My favorite class so far here at South has been an Anthropology class taught by Dr. Mohberg. I couldn't believe how excited he was every time he came to lecture- it caused me to  be excited and curious to see what we would be discussing next. I consider myself to be  creative person, but one thing that I feel would help me to be more creative would just be to be given more opportunity in my classes. Teachers should be more broad on a topic/project, but yet have specific guidelines.



Write an essay addressing these questions and post it on your blog. Use this as your Title: Creativity and Curiosity: My Thoughts - Special Post #12A.

1 comment: