Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Blog Post #13

Engaging in an E-Media Fast-
Harder than I thought it would be...



For this assignment, I was not able to use any kind of technology for 24 hours. I was able to cheat a bit, because part of my job in the afternoons is to answer phones and requires me to work on a computer. So.....Ironically, at home this assignment was fairly easy. The day before I started this activity, my house was broken into. The thieve(s) stole everything from TVs to golf clubs. This left me going to a house without any technology per say. This starts my story.... here we go....




Left only with a cell phone, I turned it off and started my day. As I was driving to school, I wondered if my husband was trying to tell me something important, or of he was sending me sweet texts throughout the morning..ha. However, I did tell him that I would be turning my phone off today, so he knew the game plan. I did keep my cell phone with me just in case I had an emergency. Throughout the day I was proud that I did not use my cell phone.

The break-in of my home did make this activity very easy, I had time to read and clean the house, and I had a very nice time! I guess you could say that I had a lot of help from the burglars that raided my home.. ha ha. You really do have to find humor in life- I do. Throughout this activity, I was able to see many things. #1- Material things are not everything, but we really do depend on technology for many things. #2- I would get frustrated when I could not call anyone on my cell phone. #3- I see that sometimes we need to relax and enjoy the bare necessities of life. I can't help but to think of the song............



When I think about my students and how they have grown up with technology all around them, I can see where they would get frustrated in a classroom without technology. I know that students (including myself) always have the urge to text in class, and that is only natural- since we text practically all day. I plan to incorporate technology into my classroom, and use it to the benefit of the students- but not worship it.









2 comments:

  1. Lindsay,

    I am so sorry to hear that your house was broken into! That had to have been a terrible experience. However, I'm sure it made this assignment slightly easier for you to do. Life can be ironic at times, can't it?

    I could tell by your post that you are a very talented writer. I thought that your post was well written and thought out. Great job, and good luck in the future with teaching! I know you will be a great technology-savvy educator.

    Sincerely,
    Laura Ellenburg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thieves? Wow! Sorry for the loss, but lesson learned!

    ReplyDelete