Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Blog Post #10

Do you Teach or do you Educate?


     After watching the youtube video, Do you Teach or do you Educate? I am excited to see my future as an EDUCATOR. I am a health education major, and I plan to coach also. I will strive to guide my students and be a mentor- not just a "teacher". I look back at the educators that have influenced me over the years, and I see that they all had one thing in common...passion and respect for what they were teaching. There is nothing like sitting in a classroom hearing someone talk passionately about a subject. I will strive in my health education field to value and respect the importance of fitness, nutrition, hygiene, and well-being.
     I want my classroom to be my student's classroom, a place where they can ask questions and feel comfortable. I will encourage my students to see the importance of everything they learn, because believe it or not, they will encounter a situation where they will need that knowledge. I am excited for what the future holds!







Tom Johnson- Don’t Let Them Take the Pencils Home!




    Tom Johnson’s post, Don’t let Them Take the Pencils Home! was very interesting. I will be honest, I had to read it quite a few times and read numerous comments and posts to really understand what was going on, but it clicked! In this post, Tom is explaining a conversation that involves something more than just pencils. This post is about the importance of creativity and substance in and out of the classroom. One of the people in this conversation was only seeing the “problem” of pencils, and not seeing the big picture. The teacher in the conversation was trying to point out the importance of what the pencils can produce! I was interested in this post because it shows just how shallow-minded we can be as people. As a future educator, I will strive to keep my classroom a comfortable, engaging place.



2 comments:

  1. Good job. The pencils are a metaphor for technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay! I was assigned to you this week!
    I too, have had teachers who have been influences in my life. I want to have that kind of impact on my students.And I am with you, I want my classroom to be a place where my students feel comfortable in asking questions. Good job on your post!

    Kasey

    ReplyDelete