Total Pageviews

Monday, February 27, 2012

Blog Post #6

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture




     After reflecting on Randy Pausch's Last Lecture, it is clear to see what an inspiration he has been to myself and millions of others around the world. In this last lecture, Randy speaks on many different topics, both personal and professional. There are many things that he discussed that are worthy of repeating, and definitely worthy of remembrance in my future career as a teacher, mentor, and leader. We all have dreams, whether big or small, we all have them. Everyone should have the permission to dream. Randy sees this in his own life as he communicates his childhood dreams. Sometimes we have stepping stones to jump over before we can achieve goal or task. "Brick walls", man oh man they seem to be put up everywhere when you feel like you are close to achieving success. Brick walls are there to push you to greatness, and to shut those out who are not willing to work. As an educator and mentor to my students, I will see brick walls and barriers come up in my student's lives, and I will strive to encourage them and lead them.
     I like how Randy compared his life to a football game, and how he mentioned his old coaches. Just as Randy's childhood football coach put boys in unlikely positions, I must think outside the box and think of each student individually and encourage them to step out of their comfort zone. How will you know you could be great at something if you don't try? Enthusiasm. That is a quality I want to possess as a teacher- Randy exhibits enthusiasm. "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted". This holds true to my heart. Experience is important. Something that I say all the time to my husband is, "The important things are important." Experience is important. Experience is what makes the difference. Even as a very experienced teacher years and years down the road, I will STILL be experiencing so many new things. I will learn from students, just as Randy said.
      It is clear to see that Randy's doings in the virtual reality world are nothing to be just put aside. This man has drive. After applying to different schools, different jobs, and whatever else he could get his hands on- he was sometimes denied. He never gave up. I must strive to never give up on my students. If I stop critiquing them, I have stopped caring, which is a tragedy.
     By bringing together the program Building a Virtual World, Randy was able to bring 50 students from all different programs in the University to make a project-based class that was all group work. This was a huge hit around school. Randy wasn't scared to step out of his comfort zone... he was able to fight for virtual worlds for the sake of educating students in a fun, exciting way! I want my students to have fun while learning. I want them to see that learning is not a passive experience, but an exciting world!
 

  I could seriously type on and on about Randy and his awesome stories and accomplishments. This last lecture is one that I will never forget!

google.com

4 comments:

  1. Lindsay,
    This was a great blog, and touched on all the main topics. I really enjoyed reading this blog. I agree with you on everything that you said. If we didn't have brick walls, people would be things that aren't suited for them . Randy Pausch is so happy with his life. He did want his students to have fun, and that is so great. I like how you used your future as a teacher in this blog as well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay,
    You did a great job covering all the topics that Randy Pausch talked about. I also loved watching this video. It really made me think about my future as an educator and how to deal with my students. It is important to know what your students want to do with their future and know their dreams. We could help them achieve them. Great job on the post and keep up the greets work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay,
    This video inspired me to think about the kind of educator I want to be. I want to be a great teacher, and I hope to inspire my students to do great things. I really liked what you said about enthusiasm, and how that is a quality you want to possess in your classroom. If we are enthusiastic about teaching, I think our students will be enthusiastic about learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason we include this video is to inspire you to bust through those brick walls, to raise the bars, to execute effective head fakes and much more. I hope you will do these things when you are a teacher. Keep on learning!

    ReplyDelete