Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Blog Post #4

Langwitches- Podcasting With First Grade


     Within the Langwitches Blog, there was an article/video where the teacher explained that her students enjoyed a podcast done by some second grade students. The teacher stated that "having an audience matters", so these first graders were on a mission to make a podcast of their own! These students were ready for someone to enjoy all the hard work that they put into the podcast! On the blog is a video where the students are interacting with a program for Mac called garageband. In this program, you can edit, add music, sounds, and many other things to podcasts and recordings. The teacher was so delighted that the students were engaged in this activity. After listening to the podcast on the blog, I was tickled to death! These first graders really did construct a wonderful podcast! It was really cute and funny how they went into garageband and added all the sound effects as each student spoke. Great work!

ipod


Harry Dell- The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom

     In the video/article by Harry Dell, The benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom, Harry explains how beneficial podcasting can be in the areas of student engagement and learning. Some of the points that Harry covered were as follows. Podcast make interacting with students outside of the classroom possible. Today's student knows a lot of technology, and podcasts make that knowledge come to life in the classroom. Podcasts encourage project-based learning, which leads to a more non-traditional learning situation where the lesson is student-based, rather than teacher-based. They also promote creativity and innovation, where students can make the project their own, and use their strengths to make the presentation. One last point is that parents can view the student's work.
     From personal experience, I have only had one interaction with podcasts since I have been at the University of South Alabama. I liked the idea of a podcast so I could go back and listen to the lecture again and again until I felt comfortable with the material. I vote yes to podcasts!

yes!



Judy Scarf- Podcast Collection

     In Judy Scarf's web page, she gives information on what podcasts are, and how they are beneficial. She explains that a podcast is a "radio-style" talk show. She too realizes that students love them! She gives tips on how to construct a successful podcast. I will be sure to implement her strategies in my future classroom and podcasts:

  • Make sure that the students and myself are familiar with the software
  • Have a list of topics ready
  • Allow plenty of time for completion
  • Invite people to listen to the finished product

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lindsay,

    And I say YES TO PIE! Based on that image alone, I give you five stars for the post. If only I could give students stars, but I actually have to read the post and give my opinion. So here I go.

    ...

    Alright. After reading I've decided that you still deserve the five stars. You have links and images with ALT and TITLE tags. You followed the directions perfectly and you write well. Great work!

    ReplyDelete