Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Blog Post #5

 Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?  By: Dr. Scott McLeod


     The blog post by Dr. Scott McLeod, a professor at Iowa State University, Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? was very interesting. Dr. McLeod argues that students who have been educated without technology will be at an advantage in the future, compared to students that have not. I agree and disagree with his point at the same time. Yes, technology has it's place inside the classroom, but the amount of emphasis spent on technology, I feel, doesn't give a student an advantage or disadvantage.
     Also, with a high percentage of today's youth learning and everyday experiencing the technology around them, a need for instruction with technological advancements will not be needed. The future is coming fast, and students will be able to operate things that we can't even imagine.

technology


Videos-  Travis Allen


    After watching Allen's two videos, The ischool Intuitive  and Travis Allen's Zeitgeist Young Minds entry (Mobile Learning), I was awakened to the power (sometimes scary power) that technology has over education, and to some extent- our lives. Seeing education becoming more and more driven by technology in today's age, I can't imagine what this means for the next few generations. I think about this class, EDM 310 as an example. This class would not exist if education was not heading towards technology driven techniques. Dr. Strange sees the need and importance of future educators to become aware of the teaching world that they will be stepping into years ahead. Am I ready? Are you?


Eric Witacre's Virtual Choir


     Wow!!!! Eric Witacre's Virtual Choir is one of the coolest performances that I have ever seen or heard. I love music, and I applaud this video! This is just another example of how technology really can play a neat role in our lives. Bringing together this wonderful choir put a smile on my face. This is a beautiful video! I wish I were a part, but I am not a singer... Lalalala!


Teaching in the 21st Century  By: Kevin Roberts


     The video, Teaching in the 21st Century, by Kevin Roberts was a striking video. I do agree that emphasis needs to b put on the student, with a student-centered approach, but the teacher still does have some responsibility in guiding and encouraging students. When I look back on my career as a student, I see that it took effort on both sides- I had to learn from the instructor, but also had to find the best way to learn and apply the material to my life so that I could gain knowledge. As a future educator, I must strive to keep the student's interests in mind, while challenging my students to develop a learning style that fits best for them.

Reading Rockets



Reading Rockets is a wonderful website that is useful for anyone in the education realm. I love coming across resources like Reading Rockets that offer assistance on learning strategies. After browsing all the different tools on the website, there was one that helps with reading comprehension called Jigsaw. I see reading comprehension as a challenge to many students, including myself at times! With this tool, students are able to take parts of a story, and put the story together like a puzzle! This seems like a wonderful activity, useful to any classroom!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lindsay,

    A few things:
    1. Your third link does not work.
    2. You need to credit the actual website where the image is found, not Google. Google is just a search engine. When you click on the image itself, it should take you to another website where the image is hosted and that is the place you should cite in the TITLE tag.
    3. From what I could read, you didn't seem to get the sarcasm of Dr. McLeod's post, or perhaps you just didn't know what to call it. Either way, I was a tad confused about your response.
    "Dr. McLeod argues that students who have been educated without technology will be at an advantage in the future, compared to students that have not. I agree and disagree with his point at the same time."
    Now, it appears that you are comparing the same type of students to each other: those that aren't taught with technology. Maybe it's just a typo. Either way, Dr. McLeod is arguing that his students--the ones who are using technology in the classroom--will have benefit over those whose teachers are afraid of implementing technology.

    ReplyDelete