Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blog Post #7

The Networked Student- By: Wendy Drexler

   In the video, The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler, the Networked Student is introduced. This student does not use textbooks, and does not attend many lectures. Connectivism is a concept that I was introduced to for the first time while watching this video. The networked student learns through all means of technology. He/she blogs about opinions, and what they have learned, and they listen to podcasts from any professor they want.
     I think that this video is very interesting, but at the same time, gloomy. I use the word gloomy because of the role that the teacher plays. The question at the end of the video is "What role does the teacher play?", and the answer is guidance, communication, and helping distinguish good from bad resources. I have very mixed emotions on the concept of the networked student. I might as well say that the concept of a networked student is a reality. I take college courses where the teacher is no more than for guidance and communication. I benefit from technology, we all do, but the teacher , teaches. I appreciate technology, I really do... but too much of something can have negative effects.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment 


     In the video A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment, a 7th grader practically gave you a tour of what a day at school entails for her and her classmates. I can see how this video relates to Wendy's video above because this shows a day as a networked student. The student walked through how she made presentations and how she is able to organize all of her work.
     When I compare her PLE to my PLN, it is very different. (Except for this class, EDM310.) In all of my classes, I have bookwork, professors who lecture, and tests to take every few weeks. Believe it or not, I am satisfied with my current PLE. Granted I am a 90 year-old woman trapped in a 20 year-old body...call me old-fashioned, I don't care. I like lecture. I also like technology---- just in moderation. I like this video. It depicts the networked student perfectly.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsay! I found myself agreeing with a lot of your points in your blog. I also like lectures and seeing something done in person. When it comes to technology, it is a lot of just playing around until you figure out how it works. I think you make a great point when you say "too much of something can have negative effects." I know that it is inevitable that technology is going to be apart of our lives for the rest of our lives, but some old school stuff is always good too. I thought you had a great post!
    Jessica Scarpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...but the teacher , teaches...." Just what do you mean by that? Pours information into your head so you can burp it back?

    Your comments on the need for lectures leads me to suggest that you read my post Lectures - Part 1 and leave a comment as part of the discussion I am trying to foster. You can substitute that for one of the C4T#3 assignments you have. I look forward to your comments.

    ReplyDelete